14 March, 2014

chocolat chaud


Our first evening in Paris, we chose to have a light dinner at Angelina's. I enjoyed crispy duck with fig chutney, and my mom had a fantastic cheese plate. Instead of one of their many desserts, we opted for their famous chocolat chaud, which arrived in a beautiful gold and white teapot. Let's just say that I was blown away.


The direct translation of chocolat chaud is hot chocolate, but it's hard for me to admit that. Because hot chocolate is associated with watered-down Swiss Miss. And this old-fashioned French stuff is anything but that- it's rich, indulgent, and deliciously foamy.


Chop up your chocolate of choice with a serrated bread knife and you'll have these lovely shards for melting.


Once the milk/water/sugar mixture has come to a boil, whisk in both forms of chocolate.


Et voilà, chocolat chaud. 


When I was trying to decide which cup and saucer to serve it in, I chose the gold and white one because it reminded me of the china at Angelina's. And guess what I discovered- it's from France! And my mom found this set at Goodwill. How cool is she?!


I know, I should have made this a couple weeks ago before all the snow melted. Especially considering that it was Iowa's coldest winter in 45 years, according to today's Des Moines Register. But it's Iowa, so we all know that there will be another cold snap and/or snow before it's officially spring. So when that day comes, whip up a small batch of this and it will warm you right up.


By the way, it's completely necessary to serve it in a cup and saucer. A mug won't cut it.



chocolat chaud

serves 2-4

1 1/8 cups whole milk
1/8 cup water
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 bar (50g) quality bittersweet dark chocolate, chopped with a serrated bread knife
2 tbsp cocoa powder

In a 2-quart saucepan, stir together milk, water, and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the chopped chocolate and cocoa and bring to a boil again, whisking. Remove from heat. Add mixture to a blender, and blend for a minute or so until thick and foamy.

note: My Pyrex had a line for 1/8 cup, so that's what I used. But 1/8 cup also equals 2 tbsp.

source: slightly adapted from The Food Network, which claims its source as Pierre Hermé (the real reason I tried this version)

No comments:

Post a Comment